3 September 2013 - I am still looking for work. I have also started writing articles about data management for DATAVERSITY.
26 June 2013 - Still looking for work (PhD PMP TS SCI). I
writing a couple of short stories each week (see Barnes
and Noble page)
and generally enjoying every day.
3 March 2013 - After almost four years, I no longer work
ITT Exelis. I am looking for a full-time job (PhD PMP TS SCI if that
means anything). Meanwhile, I write short stories, novels, blogs, and
work with writing engineers and scientists at George Mason University.
I have a new book coming in 2008 on project management. It is titled "Working Up to Project Management: How Crushing Rocks at the Asphalt Plant Prepared Me for Government Work." (ISBN: 978-0-932633-66-8, 224 pages softcover) It is available from Dorset House Publishing at this spot on their web site
Roy O'Bryan and I have written It Sounded Good When We Started. It contains stories and lessons learned from working with people on projects over the years. We think project managers can benefit from our mistakes.
In addition, I have written The Software Project Manager's Handbook now out in it's second edition. It contains information I have learned over the years about managing software projects of all sorts and sizes. The IEEE Computer Society published this book.
I wrote Image Processing in C. It discusses many topics in image processing. It is loaded with source code. R&D Publishing (http://rdbooks.com) published this in 1994.
The second edition of this book is available in electronic form from me on a CD-ROM. Send me an e-mail for details. Also, the second edition is available online. The text of the book is on scribd.com. The complete package (book, source code, etc.) is on this collection site.
I have a text on Systems Engineering. Most books on Systems Engineering are 500+ pages long and cost over $150. My book is117 pages and is F R E E to download in a PDF file. It covers the essential practices and skills of Systems Engineering. Look here for information and to download.
- Working Up where I share thoughts on project management, systems engineering, technology, and writing.
- My day book patterned after Jerry Pournelle's view. It contains daily entries of items I have found of interest.
- In 2008, I wrote 53 shorts stories (one per week). The last of these are linked here.
- Taking a Walk - walking from Northern Virginia to Southeastern Louisiana. I finished this 1,100-mile walk in October of 2009. It was great fun. There are nearly 100 entries in this blog.
- A book review of Scott Berkun's Making Things Happen.
- A book review of Jerry Weinberg's Perfect Software and other illusions about testing.
- A book review of Jerry Weinberg's The Aremac Project.
- A book review of Andrenaline Junkies and Template Zombies.
- A book
review of The Art of Lean
I wrote a series of articles image processing as well as other programming papers for The C/C++ Users Journal in the 1990s.
Is Your Project a Dilbert Cartoon? Summer Travel
POSH Travel Still Exists
My name is Dwayne Phillips. I live in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington D.C. After about 28 years working for the U.S. government as a systems and computer engineer, I retired from that in November 2008. I now do much of the same for ITT Exelis in Northern Virginia. One of my avocations is writing about technical subjects.
A few credentials
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering from LSU May 1980
- MS degree in Electrical Engineering from LSU December 1984
- PhD degree in Electrical Engineering from LSU August 1990
- PMI PMP 2011
TS SCI full scope poly, life style poly, complete background